Thursday, January 08, 2009

A winter anew

Its been a while. I have failed to fulfill my promise (to myself) to devote some time towards writing and maintaining this blog -this closet of reflections and random musings. Time flies. It really does. So many things go unnoticed, pass by, not given our due attention and appreciation as we hustle with our daily routines, artificial deadlines and decidedly mundane lives. And before we realize, we see a strange face staring back at us in the mirror.

Life is what happens, when we're busy making other plans - John Lennon

Life become predictable. The young see possibilities, the not so young see inevitability. The slow decline. Partying (clubbing) and all hedonism which accompanies it seems pointless after a while. Is this the curse of wisdom and aging? We're no longer capable of finding pleasure as easily as we could earlier. Why? Flirting with a beautiful woman was fun, made me feel alive. Now I don't bother. What's the point of these momentary pleasantries I ask myself? A short ego-trip, to convince ourselves we have still have power to impress and charm, but in the back of my mind I know this path will lead to nowhere. And there in lies the dilemma my friends. Somewhere somehow, our minds are trained to focus on the end results rather than enjoying the path, the actual journey. And I use the word end result in its most basic meaning.

We humans are mortals. Our lives are our path, our journey. Death is the end result.

We need to appreciate the things we don't notice. And also the things we choose not to notice.

If we were examine humanity as a whole, then economics preaches the Law of Diminishing returns. But we couldn't possibly chalk up the reason for human discontent to one big Law of Diminishing returns. That would be too boring an explanation. Too easy. No, no we humans seek far grander, complex answers. We often see our lives as riddles meant to be solved. What is the meaning of life? Who am I? Why am I here? Am I a good person? Is my life going the way it should be? So on and forth. But there are no rules to our puzzle solving nor any levels. We determine the level of difficulty of our riddles. The older we grow, the more difficult we make it, skewered by our personal experiences, knowledge & belief systems. The truth is far too often simple and boring. We need to learn to accept that. A murder mystery with a simple finish would do just fine at age 10. Would never do at age 30.

I don't claim to know the answers to any of these questions and a million others. Just observations. I am after all just beginning to appreciate my journey and the long bumpy ride ahead.

Nav

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Read Recent Updates!